Advice wanted from life coaches

If you're a Scanner the fun ends when the learning ends, and boredom is toxic for you, so you need the kinds of careers we'll be discussing here

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

Advice wanted from life coaches

Postby leigh24 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi there from Australia

I feel that it is time to move onto the next new instalment in the exciting roller coaster called my life. I have, for some time, toyed with the idea of becoming a life coach. It is a far cry from my current work for the government as an environmental economist but it is time for a whole new chapter and a new challenge.

I am earnestly doing my research – market research, working out a business plan and researching the various accredited courses as well as doing some solo brainstorming on all the possible pros and cons of starting up my own life coaching business and what it will take – so I am not taking it lightly. My intention is to spend the next 8 months doing my accredited course and then to slowly set up my business while still working at m current job part-time – gives me a chance to test the waters while still having that safety net of an income.

One of my next steps is to talk to some life coaches to do a final check that it will be the kind of job that I envisage – sometimes we romanticise how things will be – this is to big a step to leave it all uninvestigated. As a first step I thought I would touch base on these bulletin boards to ask any life coaches out there to fill me in on what it is like to be a life coach on a day to day basis. Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh
Explorer of all things wonderful, exciting and challenging - the world is a wonderful playground
leigh24
New Poster
New Poster

Life Coaching and Coaching in general

Postby jazzart28 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:01 am

Hello Leigh,

I have to tell you that I am not really keen on coaching. So, with that in mind, I will tell you my take. Coaching hasn't been around for a very long time so what we are working with is someone else's definition of \"life coaching.\" It seems to me that people spend an awful lot of money to become a \"life\" or whatever type of coach, and in reality, they already have these abilities.

I have an MA in Counseling and a specialty in Career...I have always used a coaching style. But, because \"coaching\" came along and people are making a lot of money training coaches, my degree from an accredited university supposedly doesn't count when it comes to coaching. Dumb.

I think that if people pursue coaching, they have to understand that it isn't so much about the training that they receive, but it's more about the fact that it is a business like anything else. They still must market it, find clients and move forward with it. It takes a lot of time, effort and energy, just like any other business.

Coaching is a \"Buzzword\" that people created and some people do very well with it. Others don't...it's up to each individual to decide how they are going to pursue it:).

So, here is a link that might be helpful: http://www.perfectcustomers.com. This site has been in business for quite awhile. The book came first, then they started with this full program. Just a little more to add to your research.

note: not trying to be discouraging...but I wanted to tell the other side of the coin :wink:
jazzart28
New User
New User

Coaching

Postby rainbear » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:49 am

I have been researching coaching for some time. There is lots of information out there, much of which I haven't found useful. I have finally found a book that tells it like it is as far as coaching is concerned. I am working my way through it at the moment. It's called \"The Business and Practice of Coaching\" by Lynn Grodzki and Wendy Allen. The authors are sisters and have been coaches for quite a while. Their approach is realistic and not only tells you what the current state of coaching is but takes you step-by-step through finding out where your niche is, what your strengths are, and what needs work. I highly recommend the book. I have so many \"how-to-be-a-coach\" books I could start my own bookstore! But this one is extremely practical whereas the others I have are more theoretical. The book starts out with a thorough explanation of the differences between coaches, consultants, and therapists, then goes on to explain the skills needed for average and master coaches, how to find your niche, how to segment your market, and how to build your business. After reading this, you should have a good idea of whether or not coaching is for you.
rainbear
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Coaching

Postby PersonalResourceGal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:45 pm

rainbear wrote:I have been researching coaching for some time. There is lots of information out there, much of which I haven't found useful. I have finally found a book that tells it like it is as far as coaching is concerned. I am working my way through it at the moment. It's called "The Business and Practice of Coaching" by Lynn Grodzki and Wendy Allen. The authors are sisters and have been coaches for quite a while. Their approach is realistic and not only tells you what the current state of coaching is but takes you step-by-step through finding out where your niche is, what your strengths are, and what needs work. I highly recommend the book. I have so many "how-to-be-a-coach" books I could start my own bookstore! But this one is extremely practical whereas the others I have are more theoretical. The book starts out with a thorough explanation of the differences between coaches, consultants, and therapists, then goes on to explain the skills needed for average and master coaches, how to find your niche, how to segment your market, and how to build your business. After reading this, you should have a good idea of whether or not coaching is for you.

You might want to also check out Thomas Leonard's Portable Coach. If the idea sings to you, then you make the decision about what training school you'd like to train. It really depends on who you talk to, but if you do go the training route, I'd recommend an ICF accredited institution. Coach U and Coach Training Institute are the more popular and esteemed schools that come to mind.

It takes a bit to get folks through your funnel in the sales cycle (public speaking, teleclasses, articles, etc.) before they become clients IME. I just noticed the date when you sent your original query, so this might be obsolete by now, but I'll post it anyway. :)

Carol
PersonalResourceGal
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Careers for Scanners