What to look for

If you're a Scanner the fun ends when the learning ends, and boredom is toxic for you, so you need the kinds of careers we'll be discussing here

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

What to look for

Postby Camille » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:42 pm

I believe the ideal scanner career has more to do with being in the right environment rather contingent up pursuing any particular professional or using any particular talent. The conducive environment I am suggesting consists of: working with a creative & multi-talented team of professionals; an intelligent leader who hires & values great talent; and it constantly offers new challenges & opportunities that make use of or require you to further diversify your talents. I have been fortunate enough to have found myself in such positions in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing. I felt energized to the point that I could hardly wait until the next day. And, I never wanted to miss a day because I was afraid I would miss out on some new adventure.
Camille
New User
New User

Postby aussiegirl » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:13 pm

This is so true. I don't mind doing anything if I am working with the right people and environment. It is the oppressive - 'you can't do that', not allowed to think and long term monotonous type of environments that really get me.

But a good environment is only as good as the interest level being maintained.

So how can you be sure an employer's environment is like that before you start working there?
Aussiegirl

Life is for living.
aussiegirl
New User
New User

How can you be sure about an employer's environment...

Postby H. Fred » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:18 am

This I know, having worked in about 500 companies over the last 30 years.

Once you're done with the usual interview questions, begin to ask some of your own. For example:

Ask the person you're talking to how long has he/she has been there? Do you like your job? What's the company atmosphere like? You'll probably get a few guarded answers here but you'll start to get a vibe about the place.

Also, ask to see where you'd be working, the people you'd be working with, what type of supervisory style the manager has, i.e., hands-off or likes to be informed every step of the way.

Try \"just chatting\" with folks. While walking around some companies I've asked about the artwork on the walls, just to see what they'd say. Are they committed to making the office comfortable or is this just an investment? Ask if they sponsor any volunteer or community programs.

I sometimes ask about the person I'd be replacing, i.e., why did this person leave? The feeling you'll get when they give you the answer will tell you a lot about them. Not so much the way they say it but their body language: Yes, we're happy she/he found a great job/we're sad to see her go/ooohh, this is tricky, hmmm, how can we fudge this answer...? Some people will just tell you outright that the previous person didn't work out. Most won't so you have to read between the lines.

Basically, you treat the company as you would a new friend. Try and learn all you can about them, but in a polite way. Also try and make a new friend, like the receptionist or security guards. Those guys can be a font of information sometimes!

CCL
H. Fred
New Poster
New Poster

Re: What to look for

Postby deannaj » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:01 am

Camille wrote:I have been fortunate enough to have found myself in such positions in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing. I felt energized to the point that I could hardly wait until the next day. And, I never wanted to miss a day because I was afraid I would miss out on some new adventure.

So Camille, what kind of work were you doing when you felt this way. Sounds marvelous!

Deanna
deannaj
New User
New User

Postby Camille » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm

Deanna--
The latest position I loved I held for 12 years. During this time I worked with non-profit professional associations whose membership consisted of small entrepreneurial businesses who were incredibly active and fully appreciative of the services we provided. We were very fluid & responsive to the changing demands in the industry & seemed to keep toe to toe or exceed the services provided by other richer and much larger organizations. A sampling of some of the things I got to do in this position include:

• Conduct economic research, develop studies & present findings to industry & legislators
• Draft bills and analyze the impact of legislation on the industry
• Editor of association monthly newsletter
• Facilitate strategic planning sessions with the industry leaders
• Develop innovative programs (e.g., renewable fuels program, managers workshops, certification program)
• Develop and direct state and national conferences.
• Influence policy development as a member of national and state boards
• Develop promotional & marketing programs & events
• Develop post secondary teaching materials
• Secure millions of dollars in funding from private & public sources
• Draft chapters of the state’s Administrative Code
• Evaluate business plans for small start up business
• Marketing Consultant to small businesses
• Design floral arrangements & staging for the Governor’s inaugural events.
• Design & construct trade show & state fair exhibits
• Design & direct the development of a memorial in Oklahoma City dedicated to those who lost their lives in the Murrah Building bombing.
• Graphic designer for publications, awards/certificates and signage

Essentially it was like changing jobs without changing jobs. One day I was doing something very technical and the next I was swinging a hammer or paint brush building a display. I loved it!
Camille
New User
New User

How do you know the environment?

Postby jazzart28 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:17 am

Hi Everyone,

I agree that finding the right environment to work within for a scanner is the greatest thing. My one and only \"professional\" job that I held was exactly like that. After my first interview (one of 3) I talked to several people within the college to see how they liked working there and how they liked working with the current boss. I found that everyone had good things to say about the environment and that the job I was applying for had been done for 10 years.

I was convinced that the job was the best for me. And, I was hired. I worked there for almost 5 years. Throughout the time, the environment changed...the first change was within 3 years. The job I was hired for was changed. The second changed was just before I was there for 5 years. That second changed ended my career there.

I tell you this because I think it is difficult to figure out the environment. I stayed there the longest I had ever stayed in any job and really planned to stay longer. Now, I still work at the same college, in a smaller capacity, but they are changing again. I think they are going into a more corporate environment. And, I discovered (through all these years) that I don't make a very good employee. I see too much and want to change it!

So, I'm thinking about retiring...but as an adjunct instructor, I don't know if I have to \"officially\" retire or just stop teaching...

At any rate, I just thought I'd say that I agree...but when the environment changes, we have to be ready to move...

Diana
jazzart28
New User
New User

Return to Careers for Scanners