Great career for Scanners

If you're a Scanner the fun ends when the learning ends, and boredom is toxic for you, so you need the kinds of careers we'll be discussing here

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

Great career for Scanners

Postby kpgordon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 am

I was reading over the posts and realized I used to have a perfect scanner career, special events production. First let me go over the pros, then I will reveal the cons (or why I am currently not working in this field.)

Pros - This is creative work that is ever changing. I have worked in events planning for large corporations and non-profits and both require a lot of creativity to design the events (think decorating for a huge party, theme and all). The non profits require an extra dose of creativity becaue you are working with a limited budget. I always enjoyed seeing how wonderful I could make an event for as little money as possible.
In an event planning company the focus is ever-changing. Each client requires a new idea or theme. Each day is different too. Planning takes place in stages. In the begining you have many meetings, then the gathering starts (yes, you are paid to shop with someone else's money!!), then there is the final creation. You are not often tied down to a desk and most days are not mundane or monotonous. In the end you get to attend a party.
Many of the people who work in this field are fun-loving creative types who make your day even more fun.

Ok, now for the cons - I am no longer working in special events because of the hours. When you are in the planning and gathering stages, the hours are pretty typical, but when you get near your event, you can live at the office. I spent most of my post-college single years working this way and loved it. I would often be at the "Office" or "working" till midnight or 1 a.m. for several months. I was accountable to and responsible for no one except myself. Then I got married and had kids. I really don't want my kids to have to keep pictures of me around so they can remember Mommy who is always at the office.
The other con is the paperwork, which is not as horrible as some jobs, but it is there. You still have to work within and budget and keep track of all money spent. Special events also often requires many mass mailings. These can be very monotonous and dull. Having some fun coworkers to sit around and stuff envelopes with makes this part of the job much better.

Final con - the pay. If you work for a non-profit, remember, the word refers to your pay and the financial status of the organization. If you can find work in corporate special events or a special events company, you can make more, but you won't get rich unless you own the company. The most I have ever seen anyone make was my old boss at Anheuser-Busch. He produced events and made over $100,000, but the creativity there was seriously constrained. Every event we produced had red, white, blue and eagles, over and over. (you get the picture)

I hope this help someone looking for a way to make money while being a scanner. This was my career long before I found Barbara's book and I loved my work every day.

Also, a big P.S. - If anyone here has not figured out that being a scanner probably also means that your are gifted, please explore this idea. I can't tell you what a difference it has made in my opinion of myself. When my son tested out as gifted the teacher said he could only be gifted if my husband and/or I were also. I read up on gifted and found so many explanations for why I do the things I do and think the way I do.

I hope this helps someone who is looking for work.
kpgordon
New User
New User

Re: Great career for Scanners

Postby Layla » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 am

A great scanner idea for work and a great description!!

It sounds very fabulous and exciting!

It would be interesting to know what you are doing now... I'm thinking something fun and exciting too? :)
Layla
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Careers for Scanners