I want to quit school NOW....resistance or 'scanneritis?'

sticky mini-newsletter, questions and answers about Scanners, this site, the bbs, and you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

I want to quit school NOW....resistance or 'scanneritis?'

Postby Erratica » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:05 am

I've been back in college for 2 years now...this semester is the beginning of the 3rd year. My procrastination skills are working overtime! I find all kinds of ways to keep from doing the readings I need for my classes, and don't do the assignments (all writing this semester) until the last minute.

Today I have due 3 pages of introduction for the research paper we are doing for my interdisciplinary studies class--INTS for short--(our topic this semester is World Hunger). I have not done all the readings, I detest statistics, they are dry and boring, for the most part, and have not actually written one word.

Last semester I didn't get my final paper written for the previous INTS class, and have to finish it this spring in order to get a grade. I took an incomplete--my prof was very lenient and understanding, thank goodness.

I want to learn to write well, but I find myself surfing the net all the time for all the interesting things I can learn. I think I'm a Sybil/Wanderer/Sampler type. I don't finish much of what I start, and I was determined to get this BA so I could say I finished school. (I started college in 1974!)

My thoughts constantly return to quitting school now, although I am terrified of how I'll 'make a living' and pay back student loans. I'm set to graduate in December of this year. I think I'm just scared of the real world.

My ultimate dream is to travel the world and talk to people, and maybe write about it. Really I just like to listen to people's stories and then tell others what I found out. However, I can't travel full time until my daughter graduates high school, and that is not until 2010. I promised her I wouldn't leave her until then. And yes, I can do short trips, but I am feeling trapped because I really would like to live in the UK at least some of the year.

Oh, gosh, I know this is totally rambling, but I'd love to have some input. And while I know that I am the only one who can really know what I should do, hearing your thoughts and suggestions will help me focus.

Erica
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.
Erratica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Erratica » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:11 am

Well, I guess my rambling didn't merit a reply. Probably there is none, because I have to figure it out for myself, lol. Still, I sort of expected someone to say something. (Yes, I'm pouting, but I'll get over it!)

I dropped the interdisciplinary course, and will try to catch up on the English one. I probably won't make a great grade, but I'm going to finish it.

Found out I only have 9 hours to go to graduate. Woohoo! That helps a lot, knowing that I'm so close. And it's scary, too. I'll take 6 hours this summer, and then a final required course in the fall, along with some fun classes, maybe Russian or Portuguese. And more French.

Erica
Erratica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Erratica » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:28 pm

I also went to see the career counselor at my university. She said to me, \"If you want to be a travel writer, then start writing for free.\" She told me to write about my travels, write about my city, write about all the Texas county courthouses. Just do it. And then submit an article to travel mags, to the travel section of my local newspaper, and don't expect to be paid. She said it takes a while to get noticed. Her story is that it took a few years, but she was invited to speak in China and Russia last year, and that had been one of her dreams.

I guess I'm just scared.

Erica
Erratica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:53 am

1. Get a study group, fast. Especially before papers are due or exams are scheduled.

2. Your teacher is completely right. Look up articles about places that interest you and start a blog at once where you discuss what you've read and add your own opinions.

3. Read I Could Do Anything and get to the bottom of the fear. There's important information down there that you need to know, and you need to have some feelings that are sitting there, scaring you.

I don't usually say things like this, but not doing those three things is simply foolish and a difficult, inefficient way to live your life.

I think you know I'm right.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Postby Erratica » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:13 am

Ouch, Barbara! I don't want to hear it, but I'm grateful you said it.

I just reserved I Could Do Anything from the library. It's been a few years since I last read it, so I'll go see what I can find out about my resistance and fears.

After dropping the one course, I finished my English paper due yesterday and went to class. Our next assignment, location, has me rather excited. My topic for this class is simple living, and I'm going to use a little commune/ashram up in Denton for my location. They are truly living simply up there.

I do have a blog, and I pledge to continue to post to it. I started it as part of your 2007 Challenge. Sometimes it's journal entries from my 6 months in Scotland, sometimes it's just stream-of-consciousness. Now I'll post on the articles I read. And I read a LOT!

Thanks,

Erica
Erratica
New Poster
New Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:19 am

Go into the index and find 'Jet Clarity'

Read it carefully.

Do it.

You're welcome. :-)
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:22 am

Erratica wrote:Ouch, Barbara! I don't want to hear it, but I'm grateful you said it.

I do have a blog, and I pledge to continue to post to it. I started it as part of your 2007 Challenge. Sometimes it's journal entries from my 6 months in Scotland, sometimes it's just stream-of-consciousness. Now I'll post on the articles I read. And I read a LOT!

Thanks,

Erica

Travel articles. Read a bunch of them about one place. Do one place each week or each two weeks. Don't get scattered. Write up at least a week or two of your opinions on what you're reading on one location before you change to another one.

If you can do that, you'll get a huge edge into the career you want. If you can't, that's not the career you want and it's time to look for something else.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Return to All About Scanners