Passion for all things stationery

sticky mini-newsletter, questions and answers about Scanners, this site, the bbs, and you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

Passion for all things stationery

Postby leigh24 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi

Just wondering if it is just one of my idiosyncrasies? I have a passion for stationery. I can spend hours wandering the aisles of stationery stores - the paper, folders, little gadgets, multi coloured post it notes, various types of pens, sketch pads - I love them all.

Does any other scanner share my passion - or should I call it a fetish :)

Leigh
leigh24
New Poster
New Poster

Passion for Stationary

Postby jazzart28 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I have a similar passion -- for me it's business supplies...I love going in and seeing the new gadgets and things they have. I have a shelf full of different types of spiral notebooks (these are what I have always used for different ideas and such) and I enjoy all types of different pens....it's just one of those things I guess:).
jazzart28
New User
New User

Postby Alexia » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 pm

I'm into this too. I simply cannot resist stationery stores. Well, I can, with great effort and resolution, resist buying, but I have to go and browse around.

I love different coloured papers. Notebooks of different types are a great temptation for me, also multicoloured Post-It packs. The many different designs of files and folders I am not safe to be let loose amongst.

Is it a fetish or a disease ?

Alexia.
Alexia
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Victoria » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Do you save it or love using it? I always intend to use it but end up a complete pack rat still wanting more.

As a kid, I spent all my allowance on stationary and office stuff. If it had a cool design or a piece of carbon paper sandwiched in between I was obsessed. I've turned my obsession (and much of that stuff I saved for 3 decades!) into a passion for collage. One of my schemes is to create and sell hand printed, painted, and collage cards and stationary, but it might require doing the same thing over and over. 8)

Neither fetish nor disease but realm of possibilities!
Victoria
Victoria
New User
New User

Postby Scenario Thinker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:10 am

Count me in with the office supply group :)

I used to spend hours in office supply stores when I was a kid/teenager. The old ladies in the store used to give me the wondering eye, like maybe they thought I was going to steal something. Why else would a kid spend so much time looking at everything? But, you're right, it was all those possibilities ...
S.Thinker

....o
^/v
/>
Scenario Thinker
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Alexia » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:20 am

Victoria - I use it. The coloured paper stuff I've bought is simply irresistible. I found a range of coloured paper in Latvia called Kaskad, (I think it's German in origin), and it comes in such lovely shades that I bought a variety of A4 sheets. The blue I'm using for a spiritual journal, the other shades are earmarked for different topics and interests. I'm a writer so I'm always scribbling, maintaining notebooks in different formats.

My post-It notes, acquired in different countries, are currently in lovely shades of turquoise, lemon and mauve. Seeing them dotted around my papers always gets my attention, so I guess they justify their purchase.

I regret to say I've never done collage. Many times I've thought about it, but it seems to involve snipping photos etc out of magazines, and I can never find any that represent me or my interests. They always seem to be pix of sloshed celebrities doing stupid things, or of sports, of showpiece houses, or of mothers and babies. I'm not decrying the latter, but it's not my thing. If I could find pix that I could really relate to, I'd be into collage like a shot. Scrapbooking too, no doubt !

I have a distinct weakness for both paper and image, but at the moment feel my possibilities are limited.

Alexia.
Alexia
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Victoria » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:23 am

Wow, there really are other people like me in the world! :wink: I wonder what it is about that particular realm of possibilities that draws us all like magpies to shiny things enough to make salespeople suspicious. Too funny, Scenario Thinker!

Alexia, you're a worldwide collector! I have a few sheets of papyrus from Egypt that I hoard, awaiting the day an idea is worthy of them (even though I can order it online now), but my Post-Its are definitely of a more boring and less exotic nature. Maybe I need to go shopping today! lol

Collage does not have to have a magazine picture anywhere in it. I never use any. Lately, I've been moving my collage stuff toward handmade books and journals, one of which is my Scanner's Daybook. Check out the work of artist/author Nick Bantock online. He does a combination of drawing, painting, and collage, but some of his works are just made up of cool paper and odd bits of ephemera. Also, you might google 'handmade paper collage' for some ideas to play with what you've already got. Hey, with the Post-Its you wouldn't even need adhesive!

VIctoria
Victoria
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 pm

Me too.

I just forced myself to get rid of dozens of blank notebooks of all sizes and still have dozens left. If I find paper smooth and silky enough, and the right pens (and they're not dry or scratchy) I'll just write the alphabet all over them if I can't think of anything else to write.

I do lots of cartooning when I have good paper and pens and nothing else to write about, funny cartooning, about my life. Sometimes I just draw characters saying how much they love the paper!

I always said that if I couldn't do anything else, I could always open up a stationery store from what I have in my apartment.

There are lots of people like us. I wonder about people who don't care about these things. I don't understand how anyone can write on those very popular yellow pads with wide lines but I know lots of people do. I can't stand to write more than a few words with a ball point pen because my hand gets tired and the line isn't beautiful.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Postby Alexia » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 am

Victoria - I tried to reply to you the other day, but the darn Submit button wouldn't work. This has happened to me before on this board, and I don't know why.

Mainly I just wanted to thank you for your suggestions, and to say I'll be following them up. Will no doubt get back to you later after brooding over Nick Bantock etc.

Barbara - those yellow legal pads are soul-destroying, probably the most uninspiring form of stationery in existence. I have a pad of quite rough beige paper with wide lines, but I only use it for drafts that are going to be thrown away. It was really bugging me to be paying more for good paper that was just going to end up in the bin.

Alexia.
Alexia
New Poster
New Poster

Postby DMStauber » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Me too me too! I just found some packs of 2x4 cards on different colors, with a ring and a rubber band to hold them together...Now if I could just figure out what to use them for...

Of course, my latest love is Moleskine notebooks! There's a whole website of people who love them: http://www.moleskinerie.com. Oh, and you all have to go to http://www.notebookism.com too.

We're not alone!!!

Do Mi
Intimate Landscapes in Colored Pencil
http://www.domistauberart.com
Facing the Text: Content and Structure in Book Indexing
http://www.domistauberindexing.com
DMStauber
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby forestgirl » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Mmmmmmm. Stationery.

I'm drooling.

Mostly I end up just buying notebooks and smooth gel pens unless I'm lucky enough to need something special, but I still love walking up and down the aisles looking at stuff. I don't know why it appeals so much, but it does.
forestgirl
New Poster
New Poster

Postby DMStauber » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Okay, why does it appeal so much? What does loving stationery have to do with being a scanner? Some hypotheses:

Notebooks and pens are tools, to be used for expressing the endless possibilities of our minds. Because we have such a large number of possible creations/projects/ideas latent or active in our brains, looking at the tools for doing something about them feels really good to us.

Oh. I guess I just have one hypothesis. That's it! What do you all think?

Do Mi
Intimate Landscapes in Colored Pencil
http://www.domistauberart.com
Facing the Text: Content and Structure in Book Indexing
http://www.domistauberindexing.com
DMStauber
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

and gel pens

Postby Colleen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:30 pm

I love paper and gel pens too. I have a bucket of pens I carry around my house from seat to seat to write, high-light, make notes in my books and to play with!
Life is too short to take seriously.
Colleen
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Nukapai » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:43 pm

COMPLETELY.

Me too!

(And hi, I'm new! :D ).

I used to spend hours browsing the local stationery shop as a child - and not an awful lot has changed, actually, I am drawn to stationery no matter where I am (pardon the pun).

It's only comparable to my book addiction. I enjoy books and stationery as tactile objects, but definitely not just because. They are to be used!

Edit: another fan of gel-pens; I don't care for pens that scratch the paper. I tend to want that smooth effect and when I write fast, other pens struggle to keep up. :lol:
Nukapai
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Erratica » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:59 am

So, what pens do you all recommend? Last fall I bought a pair of Pentel EnerGel needlepoint .7mm pens and they were fantabulous! They fairly wrote themselves, but they ran out too quickly. I can't find the refills for these retractable pens, and they're expensive (to me)...$18/dozen. And why buy a dozen pens that will be sent to the landfill?!

Two shelves on a bookcase are full of cups of pens. My daughter has this compulsion, too. She has many blank notebooks, and cups of pens, and boxes of pens. I have another cup of pens upstairs in my bedroom. Never be without a pen!

I'm afraid to write on really good paper. I guess I don't feel my words are good enough to just jot down. Hmmmm.....what is THAT saying about me, eh? LOL

Erica
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.
Erratica
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to All About Scanners