Do you hate to slow down?

sticky mini-newsletter, questions and answers about Scanners, this site, the bbs, and you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

Do you hate to slow down?

Postby kannburton » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 am

I find that I love the \"brain\" phase of any project, when I can hold all the details in my head at once and work them like a puzzle. It's so energizing!

BUT, when it comes time to \"write\" or \"create\", it's like slowing my brain down from a motorcyle ride to a crawl. It feels tedious and cumbersome to flush out the words, or the finished project.

As soon as my thoughts are transposed into a \"list\" (and yes, I loves lists!), I am usually finished. THis is quite disappointing to me as I would love to see the finished product and would love for others to see it as well.

Can anyone identify with this?

Kann
Imagination is a road with endless destinations.
kannburton
New User
New User

Postby forestgirl » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Do I identify with this? Yes and no.

Yes in that I tend to be interested in things in the beginning and lose interest quickly past a certain point.

No in that my \"certain point\" comes after the writing. For me it is the act of writing that brings clarity. I do my research and take notes, getting as many pieces of the puzzle together as I can, but it is not until I start writing that everything really starts to make sense. For me that's the most exciting part, when things start to come into focus and I really start to understand it. And then to try to explain it in such a way that the reader will understand it and experience what I'm experiencing...wow, that's pretty exciting for me.

But then once it's been written, I kind of lose interest. I mean, I'll still enjoy talking about it, explaining it, whatever, but if there is actually an action item attached to it, some kind of implementation or follow through required, then that is when my enthusiasm crashes. Depending on the topic, I might even find it difficult to revisit the same concept/idea even if writing is involved. This usually happens if the topic feels \"done\". So the joy for me isn't necessarily intrinsic in the writing itself, but in the \"figuring stuff out\" that comes with it. That's my nectar, and when it's gone I experience all of the tedium and encumbrance that you describe.
forestgirl
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kannburton » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:26 am

I suppose we all have that \"point\" where we finish. I just wish mine happened a \"little\" later...

:-)
Imagination is a road with endless destinations.
kannburton
New User
New User

Postby flygirl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 pm

I love to slow down.

Sometimes when I don't want to though, my body takes over and says,\"Oh yes you will!\" as I have a rare blood disease that occasionally kicks at me to do so. At that point I kick back and read some book I've got going.

Apart from that, I love observation because it fuels my writing, and I find that difficult to do well moving too quickly, so no...I like the slow down moments a lot :D
\"So...what's the speed of dark?\"
--Steven Wright

http://www.insectsoul.blogspot.com
flygirl
New Poster
New Poster

Return to All About Scanners