can you ever go back??

sticky mini-newsletter, questions and answers about Scanners, this site, the bbs, and you

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Andrea

can you ever go back??

Postby kazbah » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:23 am

just wondering ...

i spent about 15 years working as a PR and marketing consultant and copywriter. i focused mainly on the writing side while i was bringing up my kids and working from a base in the country - it suited me perfectly.

most of that time i was self employed. i enjoyed the variety of clients and getting passionate about each of their products or services.

a couple of years ago i decided that i had done enough writing - i didn't want to do it for a living any more. so i moved into a sales type role. i wanted to prove i could actually sell things for a living. i am currently in sales still, in an account management role, fully commission. i feel i have yet to achieve the results i want to be able to show for my efforts - but also, i have not thrown myself fully into this as i normally would do with my work, partly because i am selling for two completely different companies.

anyway, there has been some financial pressure, and a few issues, so last night i scanned the weekend paper for jobs (full time, salaried). there is a PR position that fits very well with my past experience, but my question is, can we go back??

i am not sure that i really can. i mean i can, but will i hate it? it feels to me that i have moved on from that career, it does not define me any more.

would love to hear the thoughts of others on this .... have you left a career behind, and successfully gone back and survived it?

i put my toe in the water with this company, sent an email asking to meet with them for a chat, to see if it is what i want etc. they replied asking me to flick through my CV (resume) to make sure they were not wasting time in seeing me. i sent it through (with a few modifications) but haven't heard back.

so we will see. exploring the possibility should at least answer some of my questions.

oh and btw, one of the things i hated most about working for a consultancy, was the need for timesheets. any other scanners have an issue with this? or is it just me!

kaz
kazbah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby forestgirl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:28 am

I wouldn't want to speak for all scanners, but going back is difficult for me. Mostly I have avoided it, in spite of many opportunities to return to old jobs/employers; I have never regretted doing so.

Even so, my current job is something of a \"going back\" job, and it has not been good at all. There are many reasons for this, but I am sure that the \"going back\" issue was a factor. I will be leaving the job in about a month, and will not make the same mistake again (though other mistakes are fair game).

I'm not sure that this means that all scanners would have difficulty going back, though. For example, cyclical scanners might be more comfortable slipping into an old role if the timing is right (i.e. coincides with their re-fascination with something). The sequential scanner may have more difficulty returning to something that he or she has sucked all the juice out of, but I can think of some circumstances where a sequential scanner could happily return to a previous job/career:

1) The job/career has enough variety within it that it is not really the same job as before (and will be different again next week).

2) The job/career, as it turns out, is the perfect good enough job/career and allows for the pursuit of other passions outside of the job.

3) The job/career, as it turns out, actually presents the most direct route for the scanner to get to the job/career he or she really wants to pursue. Or at least, the job/career he or she really wants at this point in time.

Oh, and btw...I HATE timesheets. I don't mind keeping track of what time I started, what time I finished and how long I took for lunch, but I hate-hate-hate the timesheets that ask you to break down exactly how much time you spent on each project. It is like a set of shackles or something. When I am doing my best work, I seem to move rather fluidly between projects. Trying to guess how much time I spent on each at the end of the day (or at the end of the week if I have forgotten to fill in my daily timesheets, which I often do because I hate them so much) is difficult. Then if I try and break up my day so I am not moving between projects, I have a harder time getting into a flow state. Then there's all the unclassifiable stuff, the little things you do that may not be directly attributable to any given project. Where do you put those things? That is one of the redeeming features of my current job - I don't have to fill one of those out.
forestgirl
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Longstrider » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Grr, time-sheets. Can't go there.

Can adapt and go forward but can't go backwards either.
T.I.G.E.R.S.
The Inter-Galatic Earth Research Station
Investigation Division
Longstrider
New Poster
New Poster

Postby AlanHilton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:32 am

GOING BACK

I once quit working for a company then went back six months later when things didn't work out at the other gig. It was not difficult. The last time I quit the company it was in such a way that the \"not eligible for rehire\" box was checked. I can not go back anymore.

It sounds like you have been doing sales and want to go back to marketing. Barbara talks about trial runs. Why not do some marketing for someone or some organization and see how it feels. (start small, start now). That way you'll know if it is something you want to do full time again.

What I get out of it all is a continuity of you want to get people to buy things. Things that you are excited about. Perhaps you could think of marketing as early stage selling or selling as late stage marketing? <grin> Anyways, find the \"heart\" of what you love about both.

TIME SHEETS

As for time sheets, or as I call them - metrics, I love 'em. I don't regard them as shaq-les at all.

Of course most of the time I create the categories to store the information. I have used the totals for how long it takes to do any particular part of the process to increase the accuracy of my predictive abilities.

I got to the point where I was about 95% accurate in estimating software tasks which is almost unheard of. When I went into consulting estimating became even more important.

In order to estimate how much to charge someone for a job you must know how long it takes to do each part of the job. That's where metrics come in. If you are in a situation where one bills the clients for services rendered like a lawyer then you can see that need.

I found I needed to do them every day and kept the information in a diary or logbook of sorts. If I put off writing things down for a few days - forget it. Sometimes even a scrap of paper may help then transfer a \"prettied\" up version to your archive.

Maybe something that would help is to take some ownership of the task and come up with some additional categories or things that you would like to keep track of. This would make it yours (ownership) and not an externally imposed task which you see no value in. You could even proposed adding the new categories to your boss.

Say boss (notice no capital Boss <grin>) since we're keeping track of how much time we spend on each account lets also write down if we are spending the time in \"Brainstorming,\" \"Copywriting,\" \"Artwork,\" or \"Multimedia\" or whatever the logical division of the work effort is.
AlanHilton
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kazbah » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:57 pm

so i DID hear back, and she was impressed with my CV (whew!) and we met at lunchtime yesterday for a chat that lasted nearly 2 hours.

i really like her, and found out some relevant information, including the fact that she is pregnant and due at the beginning of 2007 but not intending to break her stride too much ... and the other current staff member is leaving at the end of the year.

she seems to be very interested in having me there ... the pay is better than i am making now, and better than my last full time non-PR job ... i am already quite familiar with some of her clients, so could pick things up there pretty fast .... and i can see ways to integrate my current display industry (trade show work) job into the position - by becoming a client/dealer for my current company.

i told her i want to be able to travel, so need a bit of flexibility for that, and that seems to be ok, as long as she has advance notice ... she is happy for me to do 4 days a week if i want to (her current employee is doing this) or 5 days.

basically she has left it up to me to put my hand up if i am interested, and on what basis i would be interested.

one thing i DON'T want is to end up working there on my own a lot, once she has her baby etc. If i wanted to stay working on my own, i could just stay doing what i am right now (working from home office).

sooo thinking.

and apparently they have a highly sophisticated time management system (read timesheets) so we will see about that!
kazbah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby CareerWhizzard » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:38 am

My favourite quote about life is by Kierkegaard, \"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards\".

Going back can be painful and counterproductive.

I worked in IT for 15 years -- tried to go back. But, 'they' wouldn't have me.

On Time Sheets:

In my IT job we had to do time sheets. At the end of the month I guesstimated my time expenditures for each projects. The world never ended!

LL
CareerWhizzard
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kazbah » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:14 pm

i am there ... got and accepted the position. haven't had to use the time management system yet, but will be as of next tuesday. apparently it actually records every minute of the day, so that's gonna be interesting! it is freaking me out slightly, to tell the truth!

so i will make the most of tomorrow, my last day without it!
kazbah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby CareerWhizzard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:20 am

kazbah wrote:i am there ... got and accepted the position. haven't had to use the time management system yet, but will be as of next tuesday. apparently it actually records every minute of the day, so that's gonna be interesting! it is freaking me out slightly, to tell the truth!

so i will make the most of tomorrow, my last day without it!

Ah, enjoying your freedom?!

I think about my business lawyer. She is an ENTP, so not detail oriented. Yet she uses a Time Slip program -- as you may know lawyers charge in 6 minute increments!! I know cause I have the detailed bills to prove it.

Anyway, what popped into my head is the notion that you may be making the situation harder for yourself by how you are THINKING about it.

Maybe, try changing your thoughts.

From (I'm guessing) "Oh gawd this will be freaking awful!" To something like "I'm a sharp cookie. I can handle this. I don't have to like it.... but I can do it!"

And, then when you've survived the first week, grab that tub of Cherry Garcia and have at it!

Just a thought :)

LL
CareerWhizzard
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kazbah » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:49 pm

yeah, i am working on the \"oh maybe it will be cool\" kinda thing .... what i am not sure about, is how i account for the \"down time\" ..... like going to the toilet, taking breaks, diving into the computer to check my private emails .... junk like that.

and if the system means i can't do those things, do i feel trapped? (right now, i do feel a bit trapped, i must confess).

it brings back very strong memories of those past jobs and the conflict that used to arise at billing time .... don't want that to happen. most of the conflict wasn't with me directly, it was heard very clearly through the office wall, but still, it brings up that kind of stuff.

i am sure it will be ok, and if i really hate it, then i guess i will leave! (or at least tell her how much i hate it, and perhaps we can move on from there).

8)
kazbah
New Poster
New Poster

Postby CareerWhizzard » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:36 am

kazbah wrote:yeah, i am working on the "oh maybe it will be cool" kinda thing .... what i am not sure about, is how i account for the "down time" ..... like going to the toilet, taking breaks, diving into the computer to check my private emails .... junk like that.

8)

Aaargh! You have to account in THAT much detail...

Run.... run now!

Seriously, that seems a bit excessive. Perhaps I missed it.... but why is the time be recorded to this extent?

LL
CareerWhizzard
New Poster
New Poster

Postby kazbah » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:54 am

i don't think she really needs that level of information, but it happens to be a very comprehensive piece of software that they use - far more complex than really required for a little business with 2 -3 staff.

the main thing she is interested in of course, is keeping track of the billable time, so it can be charged out, but i am very conscious of the fact that it takes in every minute of the working day.

oh well ... will report back once i have actually started using it.
kazbah
New Poster
New Poster

Return to All About Scanners