THE TESTIMONIALS

Information about what goes on, how to get there, travel tips and testimonials. If you have questions you want to ask of people who have been to a Scanner Retreat, ask them here.

THE TESTIMONIALS

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:41 am

Here's what I wrote the Scanner Retreat grads:

Hi All

People are beginning to think about coming to the next Scanner's
Retreat in Corfu and asking for descriptions or evaluations of the first Retreats from those who attended. If you wouldn't mind sending me something I can forward to them, I'd appreciate it greatly.

...if you got something valuable there, that is :-) )

I returned to the U.S. the last day of October, after spending
a few weeks in Turkey ... and life hit the fan. By the end of December I began to surface but I've been sort of 'white-water rafting' down the rapids since then.

I've managed to schedule a spring Scanner's Retreat for April 20-26 and now I'm getting requests for descriptions or evaluations of the
first Retreats (which none of you ever asked for--or could have gotten, since you were the first to come.)

If you wouldn't mind sending me something I can forward to them, or posting a description and/or evaluation here, I'd appreciate it greatly.

What they're basically asking is, What was it like?

I just look out the window when I hear that question, remembering all of your faces and the sunsets on the terrace and the sound of the chairs in that noisy little room, and the wonderful work you wholeheartedly did -- and I can't figure out where I'd start.

But maybe you could find a way. I'd appreciate it.

Finally, here is a place to post them all.
Last edited by BarbaraSher on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Elizabeth

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 am

I posted this on the website.

Articulating what I learned from the retreat is difficult. Sometimes
we don't realize exactly what we've gained until months or years
later. I had a fabulous time while there, of course. And met many
great people. I did learn at the retreat to ask for help even when I
think I don't need it.

But the biggest change is that I find myself actually doing things
that I'd previously only thought about doing someday. I recently went
to a week long drawing class in Big Sur and met more great people. We
are even going to continue with another teacher locally.

When I first started reading Refuse to Choose, I was so excited about
all the activities and life models. After I came back from the
retreat, I began to realize that I need to focus on the suggestions in
the Sybil chapter. Everything looks interesting in the book, but I
really do need help with managing my time and space.

Scanner retreat Participants - Unlike most of the others, I wasn't
looking for a new career direction, so I wasn't sure I'd fit in. But
many were very friendly and made me feel comfortable.
Everyone had such interesting stories. It's unusual to get to know
people so well in such a short period of time.

Corfu - gnarled old olive trees, charming little village nearby with
secret pathways between the houses and great food, azure blue water --
try adding a few extra days to explore, Corfu is known as the most
beautiful of all the greek islands

Hotel - I stayed in a place down the hill, but the hilltop terrace
overlooking the sea was great -- wished there has been more time to
just be but we were busy!

Brainstorming - We did this with Barbara and on our own -- the power
of so many minds was amazing, containing that energy was no small feat
for anyone leading, fortunately there were many capable leaders in the
group

Barbara - What can I say about meeting a woman whose books I've read
for half my life and who helped guide me to a career I actually like?

Elizabeth
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Johanna

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:56 am

Dear Barbara,

Here you go: \"What was it like\"?

I experienced a wonderful, supportive, safe, demanding and surprising
atmosphere which enables me to:

- hear the voice of my heart
- follow my heart
- to grow as an individual and as a group
- to help myself by helping others
- experience miracle wonder acting
- experience my own energy & power
- express feelings
- to take action
- have fun
- surprise myself

I would say: Go for it if you want to:

- experience your own/others strenghts & motivation
- to make a commitment to yourself
- change your life
- gain an active role in creating your own life
- experience and wake up your/others potential
- experience that you are ok as you are
- experience that people love you
- experience how powerful you are when you are vulnerable
- give yourself credit to follow your heart
- understand that you deserve to be happy
- gain different perspectives
- experience your own value
- experience how funny it is to have a Scanner family
- feel freedom
- meet soulmates

The retreat was one of the most touchable workshops I ever
experienced so far and it's having an unbelivable ongoing impact
during the last months.

Excited Johanna
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Paula

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:58 am

I read the first chapter of “Refuse to Choose” on a commuter train on the way home from work. By the time I got to my car in the station parking lot I was literally convulsing with tears of joy and release. After feeling like a failure and a disappointment for most of my adult life, it was a monumental turning point for me to realize that I am just the way I am supposed to be. When the chance to travel to Corfu for the first ever scanner retreat came I grabbed the opportunity to celebrate my self acceptance as a scanner. I am glad I made the decision to go, because I ended up experiencing one of the most incredible weeks of my life.

Corfu itself was beautiful and met or exceeded all of my expectations for a Mediterranean island. The views from the hilltop inn where we stayed were spectacular, the sunrises and sunsets were breathtaking, the beaches were postcard perfect, the village our hotel sat above was quaint and memorable, and the locals were friendly and hospitable.

Of course the retreat could have been in a trailer park in Torrance and it still would have been a raging success. Barbara made everyone feel that they got the personal attention they needed from her, and made sure that each our goals for the retreat were met. She is highly intuitive and skilled at cutting to the heart of the matter. She gives great hugs, and is eager to share her bag of tricks for overcoming obstacles, procrastination, and resistance. She is a scanner herself, and I doubt anyone understands scanners better.

As much as I love Barbara and learned from her during the retreat, the best part of the trip was getting to meet 17 other scanners. I am shy and was hoping to be a wallflower the whole week. I am glad that plan did not pan out! I learned that scanners are awesome. They are smart, supportive people who are, without exception, terrific storytellers with fascinating life experiences. Barbara gave us an incredible gift by providing an atmosphere for us to bond and become a family.

Since the retreat we have stayed in touch by phone, email and through a Yahoo user group. We made the decision to continue our bi-weekly conference calls beyond the prescribed 3 months, and we have scheduled a reunion for next September. We are more than a mutual admiration society, though we do offer each other lots of praise and support. We hold each other accountable, and won’t let each other get away with not living life to its full potential. I hope I have the honor of knowing these people for the rest of my life.

If you are considering attending her next scanner retreat, I cannot urge you strongly enough to make the decision to go. If there is anything more I can say to convince you, please feel free to email me at sonnet4321@yahoo.com.

PS. If you are traveling to Corfu by way of Athens to fit in a trip to the Acropolis, try to go late in the afternoon. It will be far less crowded, and you can watch the marble of the Parthenon change color as the sun begins to set, and while you are on Corfu don’t miss the chance to visit Old Corfu Town, which looks like Venice on dry land.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Olivia

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:00 am

I don’t recall what I was doing before I saw the add,
or even how the add came up on my computer screen.
All I remember was KNOWING I had to there. It was
strange because I wasn’t even too bothered what the
actual content of the course was – it was already a
done deal with the universe.

Then I saw with wide eyes that the course was FULL.

And I thought that doesn’t matter, I am still going!
And in time a place was found for me, as I knew it
would. I have never enjoyed a week more – Corfu is
the perfect location for getting reacquainted with
yourself. The course was held in a place that nature
made and time forgot – it was perfect and Barbara
conducted our classes out on the veranda of the small
comfortable hotel, with the blue-green sea to our
backs. I didn’t look for this course, this course
found me

In essence Barbara Sher is like everyone’s favourite
grandmother (sorry Miss Babs!).

I was constantly astounded by her insights, so much so
that I wondered to myself if perhaps this woman was
living in our house during my childhood and I just
didn’t notice her (Scanners can be quite inattentive
on occasion). Then I toyed with the secret idea that
she is a reincarnation of my grandmother (and I’m not
convinced she isn’t). Most of all, as the days flew
by I kept asking myself, how does this woman know all
this private stuff about me, and then I realised it
wasn’t only me who thought along these lines.
Barbara Sher has some unique ability to see deep into
our psyche, not in a mystic/crystal ball way, but in a
heart-warming, very human way.

The Retreat in Corfu was life enhancing. One of the
pronouncements Barbara made on the first day was that
we would end up being in love with each and every one
on the course. I looked around at the motley crew,
and, before the hot-chocolate break on the second day
I had fallen in love with each and every one of my
fellow scanners. Barbara has a unique way of allowing
people to see into the souls of others, and when you
see into the soul of another you are forever smitten.

In summary, I look back on that week in Corfu and feel
my DNA has been tweaked and put in alignment. I no
longer wonder why I am interested in so many diverse
subjects. I highly recommend the Scanners Course in
Corfu. Barbara Sher teaches something very special
and valuable, and is a god-send to the Scanners of
this world.

Olivia
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Linda

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 am

There are some things in life you just KNOW you have to do.  For me, one of them was attending Barbara Sher's retreat in Greece for Scanners.  On the long flight over there from New Zealand I wondered if I was mad.  I thought, what the h... am I doing spending nearly ten thousand (NZ) dollars galavanting around the world on a frivolous, life-improvement mission?  (By the way, that money included the screenwriting expo I went to in LA on the way home!).  Anyway I decided to have no expectations so that I wouldn't be disappointed, just in case.  Well...

People have asked me what I got out of the course.  I find it hard to define, but I tell them it was like having a big sign stamped on my forehead \"VALIDATED.\"  I feel I've got heaps more confidence about what I do, and what I don't do!  Barbara is a woman I've admired for years and who I once met at a three hour seminar in London, England.  I love her philosophies on life, her no-bull but kind and humane people techniques and most of all her sense of humour.  She's just a normal - but amazing - person.

I've made fantastic friends out of the course.  I feel I've got a great network of people from around the world - American, Irish, English, German, Swiss - who can answer my questions and give me ideas and feedback.  My room-mate turned out to be a close friend for life!

I also had no expectations about what would happen after the course, but so far I've enjoyed insightful teleconference calls and dealings with group members, and I've started a blog - scannerinterviews.blogspot.com.  John, a fellow-scanner and IT expert and freelancers' life coach, has been my first interviewee and he's helped me record two short interviews \"What's a Blog?\", \"Making Money off your Blog or Website\" which is a dream for me.  I would never have done this on my own.

I would say if you want to have a dream holiday with awesome people that you'll relate to, have a chance to face your fears and see others overcome their challenges, learn brilliant stuff, and benefit from having a warm, trustworthy and funny best-selling author running the course, go for it!  Find every excuse to spend that money on yourself because once you do, it's not only you who will get the benefit, it's those around you.

Linda M
Scanner!

BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Tammy

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 am

The Corfu Greece Scanner Retreat….what was it like?

It was like sunshine every day and having class outside looking at the
sea. It was like beautiful patios with lovely iron chairs lined with
cushions for some comfort. It was going to class in pajamas and fuzzy
socks, with a hot steamy mug of hot cocoa and whip cream. It was
provocative conversations, personalized brainstorming sessions, and
delightful Greek salads with Mythos at lunch.

It was stunning sunsets every night. It was people who started out as strangers and classmates who have now become dear friends, mentors, accountability partners, inspiration and support. It was eating dinner late at night together, sharing stories and lives over a glass of wine while looking at the moon and stars. It was like watching the most beautiful
flowers bloom and open up right before my eyes, and realizing I was
one of them. It was like one of the best and most meaningful
experiences I ever had in my life. I showed up in Corfu alone and I
returned home with 17 friends, that's what it was like. Tammy
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Stephanie

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:05 am

Date: February 12, 2007 9:10:45 AM EST

Dear Barbara,
The sound on my computer is intermittent - most of the time I don't attempt to listen to your audio newsletter. But on a particular day in July I was compelled to open the recent audio e-mail you sent...I think I may have stopped breathing for a moment due to the surge of excitement I experienced. Corfu? A deep feeling of longing arose... a way to reconnect to my Greek heritage. Scanners Retreat? I had just finished reading \"Refuse to Choose\" and couldn't believe that there'd actually be a whole group of us in one place! October? The dates overlapped with my 55th birthday. I can't say that I've had many moment of absolute clarity in my life... this was one of the most powerful.

Barbara weaves a deep, expansive, loving, and fun-filled tapestry with her insights, caring, and humor. She balanced challenge with sensitivity, creating a welcoming and inspiring environment for me to be myself - all the while experiencing who I could be...how I could bring to life that huge, untapped potential of myriad ideas.

Truly, I consider my time at the retreat to be life changing. On a very intimate level, her approaches to dealing with resistance allowed me to dissolve an old issue that was holding me back from honoring my Scanner talents. For example, and to be more concrete, within a few weeks of returning I decided to spend a considering amount of money to attend a 2-day color/image consulting training - something I loved but had continued to second guess, i.e., \"what the heck am I going to do with that?\". The clarity I had in registering for the Scanners Retreat has continued, allowing me to more clearly and easily focus on what I want to create and say \"no\" to the things I can do but don't have the passion for.

If you want a week full of practical and inspirational techniques and tips, a community of people who understand and support you, inspiration to move forward with an idea, clarity on how to use your passions in the world, a gorgeous environment, fabulous food...and of course, 6-7 hours a day with Barbara - sign up!

Sincerely,
Stephanie
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Britta

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:07 am

What was the scanner retreat like, Barbara, here is a little bit of
text from me: It was like coming home. Realizing I am not one freak
all by myself. There are at least 17 more out there who are just like
me. I belong. All the stories so different and yet the core so
similar.

It was deep work, it was fun classes outside watching the
sun set over the mediterranean at the same time. It was Greek coffee,
dinner at midnight and interesting, stimulating conversations all the
time. Too bad we had to sleep, too. I came all alone and left with a
family. And it was coming back home and finding I have scanner friends
here already. Identifying more and more and being able to concentrate
on those. And the the phone conferences. Very important. The retreat
doesn't stop and the continuous support is life saving! Britta
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Gary

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:12 am

Last night I read Irmgard post's about being back to her normal routine and Allen's incredible articulation about her disparity and Elizabeth's support of relating.

I went to bed and lying there I was remembering our group, each one of you individually and the special relationship's I have with each of you, a large tear of joy/happiness balled in the corner of my left eye, I readjusted my head and the tear ever so slowly began to roll down my nose and I began to cry more and to think about my love for each and everyone of you again, it was your expression's or your question? or a look and sometimes just a sense.

So this tear, making it's way down my nose is uncomfortable but I am in love with it. It reminds me how much I felt loved and how much capacity I have to love others,You all. of you my scanner family.So I lie there with this incredible drop of a tear dangling off the tip of my nose. I am motionless so as not to dislodge what I am feeling, I place the tear on my wrist I lick it off the top of my hand and drink you all in to my heart. I think how lucky am I, to care for so many beautiful people.

I am drawn to the fact that we all traveled around the world to meet each other. This is huge in my mind! why did we show up for each other? What thing does my life have to express? with which each one of you? or all of you?It is a powerful feeling I have for all of us as a group,I'm reminded what Barbara said \" we will all go back to our lives\" \"but don't go away\" stay in touch at least!

I think she has grossly underestimated our missions, we were called! do you or anyone else feel that something has happened to us? Am I alone? I doubt it!
In always in loving form
Gary
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Gina

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:43 am

The Scanner Retreat in October 2006 with Barbara Sher
in Corfu was a perfectly timed invitation to explore
ways to recreate my life full of all the things I
love. I really enjoyed the pace of the retreat,
because I felt there was a great balance of working in
a group as well as having time to myself to follow my
own rhythms.

I deeply appreciate Barbara's commitment to each of us
and to her work. I was inspired daily with
possibilities of new ways to combine all the things I
love to do into one great life. I adored being able
to spend quality time with Barbara and the other
participants. Just being able to hang with Barbara
Sher in Greece was worth the price of admission. Her
depth of experience, candor, humor, generosity and
style are unmatched!

It all added up to a great vacation combined with
deep, personal life work. I enjoyed it all...the
hotel, the walks to the sleepy town of Pelekas, and
hours of sunning on the beach. I would highly
recommend this retreat to anyone wanting to make new
friends, create unforgettable memories, and most
importantly, find support and a voice for their purest
dreams for a life filled with passion, doing what they
love!

Thank you Barbara Sher!

Love,
Gina
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Marlena

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:51 am

What a powerful message to receive: \"you are not alone\"! It is one
thing to receive that message after reading one of Barbara's books,
but quite another to experience it each time you look into the face
of a fellow wide-eyed scanner. If you're searching for confirmation
that you're not crazy after all for having so many wonderful ideas
that you don't know where to begin, go to Corfu. If you'd appreciate
help in sorting out your passions so that you can propel forward on
some of them (that's right, you don't have to stick to just one),
then go to Corfu. And if you want to experience the amazing feeling
of connecting on a deep level to others just like you in just one
week, go to Corfu.

MJ
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Russell

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:58 am

I've recognized an important common factor in my conversations with my
new doctor and with my fellow scanners: the importance of feeling
understood.

I had to do my own research to find the language for describing what I was experiencing, and then found in my new doctor an audience that was fluent in the language and, most importantly, was prepared to listen, thus leading to understanding.

Likewise, as scanners, Barbara has provided us with the language to
describe our widespread interests and the techniques by which we can
experience them all. Our retreat was filled with people bursting with
the desire to learn this new language so that we, all of us, could
finally be understood.

--Russell
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Deborah

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:01 am

I have begun reading Live the Life You Love. I figured since that was Barbara's favorite it HAD to be good. Let me tell you, it's great!! I have learned a lot already. And in typical, amazing Barbara fashion - she finds ways to help you learn specific things about yourself that you need to know and that only you would know. I am fascinated and intrigued by how she (you, if you're reading, Barbara;-) does that in a book. In my past work I have done a lot of that (in very different ways) - but it's always been the live dynamic: being part of the process and moving through it a step at a time to see where it needs to go. So, this stuff fascinates me on a 'meta' level as well as being extremely helpful for where I am.

And, btw, that explains part of why I was quiet at times during the retreat. My brain was very busy trying to 'do' the retreat while at the same time watching Barbara work. I felt like our cat with a string. I needed to just focus on the work that I needed to be doing - but I just couldn't help myself. Her process is just too darn fascinating.
BarbaraSher
Site Admin

Return to All About the Scanner Retreats